General Office Information
- Guardianship Definitions
- Guardianship Training
- Forms & Documents
- Links
Adult Adoption

1. Are Guardianship records open to the public?

No. Guardianships are closed cases. Only parties to the case may view or obtain documents unless authorized by a Court Official.

2. How long does a guardianship last?

For Adults, per Wisconsin statute chapter 54 - Guardianship and Conservatorships, temporary guardianships last for 60 days and can be extended for another 60 days. Permanent guardianships end when someone dies or the Court orders the guardianship to be terminated.

3. What if the guardian or ward moves?

If a ward or guardian moves, the guardian must notify the court in writing as soon as possible. In all correspondence with the court, please provide the case number, the ward's name and address along with the guardian's name and address. Please send all correspondence to:

Register in Probate
1926 Hall Avenue
Marinette, WI  54143

Notice of Change of Address (Adult Guardianship) form

If a ward is being moved to a more restrictive environment (for example, from an adult family home to a nursing home), the guardian should also explain the reason for the move. A Notice of Transfer of Protective Placement form should be filed with the Probate office and a copy of the notice must be sent to Marinette County Adult Protective Services at the following address:

Marinette County
Adult Protective Services
2500 Hall Avenue
Marinette, WI  54143

If a ward objects to this move, he or she is entitled to a hearing within 10 days of filing a petition with the court.

4. What is a Watts Review?

A court order for protective placement may be required to authorize a guardian of the person to keep someone placed at a facility with 16 or more beds. These orders must be reviewed each year to determine whether the person (ward) is in the least restrictive environment consistent with his or her needs and abilities. This review is called a "Watts Review". An attorney is appointed as a Guardian ad Litem (GAL) for the ward and to review their placement.

5. Where can I find the law on guardianship of an adult?

The Wisconsin Statutes have several chapters that describe guardianships, but look especially in chapter 54 - Guardianships and Conservatorships and chapter 55 - Protective Service System.